Suspected Somali fraudster filmed leaping off Minnesota balcony and driving away in luxury Genesis sedan after feds announced they were charging him with alleged $3.3m scam
✨ AI Summary
🔊 جاري الاستماع
Published: 23:28, 21 May 2026 | Updated: 23:35, 21 May 2026 A Minnesota man accused in a wide-ranging Somali fraud scheme leapt off a fourth-floor balcony and fled in a luxury vehicle when authorities tried to take him into custody. Federal authorities said they tried to arrest Muhammad Omar on Thursday morning for allegedly defrauding nearly $3.3 million from a state-run Medicaid program. But Omar made his escape by leaping off the balcony and fleeing in a luxury Genesis sedan. He was later caught on video jumping over a concrete barrier and falling over, before hobbling away past security cameras. Omar was seen at the time wearing a white shirt and bright blue shorts as he walked with his sandals in his hands. He was arrested hours later at a home tied to a company he owns, law enforcement sources told KARE. Omar is now facing one count of conspiracy to commit health care fraud and four counts of health care fraud. He may also face additional charges for his escape. Prosecutors claim he worked with another man, Ibrahim Bashir Abdi, to create North Home Health Care before Omar opened up a second company by himself called South Home Health Care. Both businesses were registered with Minnesota's Housing Stabilization program, a Medicaid-funded program designed to help seniors and people with disabilities find and maintain homes. Muhammad Omar leapt off a fourth-floor balcony and fled in a luxury vehicle when authorities tried to take him into custody on Thursday morning He was caught on camera jumping over a concrete barrier Federal authorities announced on Thursday that 15 defendants across Minnesota are facing charges over alleged fraud schemes that targeted $90 million in taxpayer dollars But, authorities say, Omar and Abdi falsely inflated the number of service hours North Home Health Care provided. In one instance, they even allegedly billed for 92 hours of service for one person who was already deceased. The fraud then continued even after an internal compliance manager flagged the scheme, but was ignored, according to an indictment obtained by KARE. In total, Omar and Abdi pocketed $3.2 million based on the false claims, while Omar received another $480,000 from fraudulent claims at South Home Health Care. The men allegedly sent some of their profits overseas to buy property in Kenya, and Omar also was said to have also spent some of the money on a lease for a new Mercedes. Omar and Abdi are now among 15 defendants across Minnesota facing charges over alleged fraud schemes that targeted a whopping $90 million in taxpayer dollars. At a news conference announcing the charges on Thursday, US Assistant Attorney General for National Fraud Enforcement Colin McDonald said the fraudsters 'systematically pilfered' seven Medicaid programs that they used 'as their personal piggy bank.' 'The fraud here in Minnesota is shocking,' he said, before Secretary of Health and Human Services Robert F Kennedy Jr highlighted how the budgets for the programs exploded during the COVID pandemic. Dr Mehmet Oz, the administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, said the budgets of seven Minnesota state-run Medicaid programs 'got so out of hand that there was panic setting in' The Trump administration cracked down on fraud in Minnesota after independent journalist Nick Shirley put the city's daycare centers on blast in a bombshell video The Housing Stabilization program, in particular, started with a budget of $2.5 million but ended up at almost 50 times that amount at $104 million by 2024, Fox 9 reports. Minnesota state officials then decided to terminate the program last year. 'It got so out of hand that there was panic setting in,' Dr. Mehmet Oz, the administrator of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, added of the fraud of the seven state-run agencies. 'It was at that point that we re-engaged the process and realized there were programs that had been created here with massive spending that had increased so rapidly that there's no way to save the program.' The Trump administration cracked down on fraud in Minnesota after independent journalist Nick Shirley put the city's daycare centers on blast in a bombshell video which featured several Somali-run operations, including the misspelled Quality 'Learing' Center. Last year, Trump said Somalis were 'completely taking over' Minnesota and accused the community of widespread fraud, which prompted the massive, unprecedented immigration enforcement operation. Fahima Mahamud, 50, was charged on Wednesday with conspiracy to defraud the United States after she allegedly stole $4.6 million in food assistance Mahamud, who was the CEO of the Future Leaders Early Learning Center (pictured), claimed that she was serving two meals a day to about 1,000 different children, seven days a week Others now indicted in the scandal include Fahima Mahamud, 50, the owner of the now infamous Quality 'Learing' Center. Prosecutors say she made fraudulent reimbursement claims to the federal government for food assistance in her role as the CEO of the Future Leaders Early Learning Center. Mahamud allegedly submitted over 13,000 claims between October 2022 and December 2025, resulting in $4,629,929 in taxpayer-funded reimbursements from the Child Care Assistance Program administered by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. At times, Mahamud claimed that she was serving two meals a day to about 1,000 different children, seven days a week, according to the filing. However, prosecutors say she knew those meal counts were 'false and inflated,' but submitted them anyway to keep the money for herself. '[Mahamud] diverted much of those taxpayer dollars for the purchase of real property, for the benefit of herself and to other companies,' the court filing stated. In February, Mahamud was also charged with wire fraud in connection with the Feeding Our Future scandal, the $250 million Somali-linked fraud scheme that prompted Trump's federal crackdown on Minnesota. Prosecutors said Mahamud received $854,000 from the Federal Child Nutrition Program in the Feeding Our Future scheme between December 2020 and March 2023. The mastermind behind the scheme, Aimee Bock, 45, has since been sentenced to serve more than 41 years in prison after being convicted of multiple counts of conspiracy, wire fraud and bribery. In total, nearly 80 people have been charged with running a scheme through the Feeding Our Future non-profit to steal approximately $250 million in taxpayer dollars meant to feed hungry children. Instead, prosecutors said, the money was used to fund lavish lifestyles. The comments below have not been moderated. The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.





