🕐 --:--
-- --
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر
405403 مقال 248 مصدر نشط 79 قناة مباشرة 2651 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ 0 ثانية

Smuggling ring behind £25m fake cigarettes scam jailed for 17 years

العالم
Daily Mail
2026/05/22 - 21:18 501 مشاهدة
By JAMES MULHOLLAND FOR THE SCOTTISH DAILY MAIL Published: 22:18, 22 May 2026 | Updated: 22:18, 22 May 2026 Three men involved in smuggling tens of millions of pounds worth of counterfeit cigarettes and tobacco into the UK have been jailed for a total of 17 years. Damian Rapacki, 36, Michael Zynda, 40, and Marek Nadzieja, 31, were sentenced at the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday for their role in the £25million scam. They pleaded guilty at the High Court in Glasgow last month to being involved in serious organised crime. The court heard how the trio sourced illicit products from Austria and used HGVs to bring the bootleg goods through mainland Europe and into Scotland, stashing the products in rented warehouses and storage units in Glasgow, Airdrie and Hamilton. The court heard how the trio pocketed around £2.3million from their illegal scheme which they ‘transferred amongst themselves and others to conceal its criminal origin.’ Rapacki was said to have ‘controlled’ a yard in Glasgow’s Carntyne which become the gang’s ‘central hub’ for receiving the contraband products. Their scam was foiled, however, when investigators began to gather evidence, with HMRC officials executing 11 search warrants across Glasgow, Hamilton, Airdrie and London in November 2020. Damian Rapacki was jailed for his part in the £25million scam Marek Nadzieja was also part of the large scale organised crime scam involving fake cigarettes Michal Zynda was locked up for five years and 11 months for his part in the operation During those and subsequent related operations, more than six million illicit cigarettes and around £950,000 in cash were seized. An illegal tobacco manufacturing site in Hamilton was also discovered and dismantled. Prosecutor Alan Parfery said that between June 1, 2019 and November 19, 2020, the trio ‘knowingly participated in a large-scale organised operation to import, store, distribute and profit from counterfeit cigarettes and counterfeit hand rolling tobacco.’ He added: ‘Over this period, the group received 26 deliveries Europe comprising of in excess of 100million counterfeit cigarettes which equates to around five million packets of illicit cigarettes.’ Sentencing the trio, Lady Ross said: ‘These were cigarettes that were imported into the country and tax was not paid on them. This represents a loss to the public purse. Tax receipts pay for public services.’ Around £950,000 in cash was seized by Police Scotland as the trio were arrested More than six million illicit cigarettes were discovered by police when they arrested the men Rapacki, of Airdrie, was jailed for six years and nine months, Zynda, of Wishaw, was locked up for five years and 11 months, while Nadzeija was sentenced to four years and three months. Stewart Digney, Operational Lead at HMRC’s Fraud Investigation Service, warned they will continue to crack down on such operations, saying: ‘The illicit tobacco trade steals money from public services, undercuts legitimate businesses and funds other crimes that impact our communities.’ And Sineidin Corrins, of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, added: ‘Illicit tobacco products of this type can also contain any number of substances of which the purchaser is unaware. ‘This makes them even more hazardous to health than legally purchased cigarettes.’ The Crown will call a proceeds of crime hearing, aimed at seizing the men’s ill-gotten gains, later in the year. No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.
مشاركة:

مقالات ذات صلة

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤