Revealed: Everything the newly released government files have unveiled about Andrew's 'controversial' appointment into trade envoy role
✨ AI Summary
🔊 جاري الاستماع
By INDERDEEP BAINS, CHIEF NEWS CORRESPONDENT Published: 00:52, 22 May 2026 | Updated: 00:53, 22 May 2026 The late Queen personally pushed for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's controversial appointment as the UK's trade envoy, newly released government files have revealed. The former duke was handed the plum role in 2001 and travelled the world for a decade – developing questionable friendships and lavishing taxpayers' money on luxury trips. In allegations linked to the Epstein files, he has been accused of using his position to cultivate personal contacts and leak confidential data at the behest of the convicted paedophile financier. Andrew, who stepped down as trade envoy in 2011 amid the furore over his friendship with Jeffrey Epstein, has vehemently denied all wrongdoing. Following his arrest in February on suspicion of misconduct in public office and pressure from MPs, the Government on Thursday released documents laying bare the inner workings of his appointment. The files offer fresh insight into how the position was carved out to suit the pampered royal, with officials urged to play up his 'high profile' despite concerns over his lack of experience. From his desire to visit only 'sophisticated countries' to orders he shouldn't be 'burdened' with paperwork, the Daily Mail examines the latest revelations: The late monarch was at the heart of the decision to hand Andrew the prestigious role, the files reveal. The late Queen personally pushed for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's controversial appointment as the UK's trade envoy, newly released government files have revealed The former prince Andrew with ballerinas in London in 2011 In a letter, chief executive of British Trade International Sir David Wright said it was the 'Queen's wish' that her son succeeded the then trade envoy the Duke of Kent. Addressing the foreign and trade secretaries on February 25 2000, he said he had a 'wide-ranging discussion' with Elizabeth II's private secretary on the subject. He said the monarch was 'very keen' for Andrew, whose 22-year career in the Royal Navy was coming to an end, to take up the position and that no other royal alternative was available. 'The Queen's wish is that the Duke of Kent should be succeeded in this role by the Duke of York,' he said in the memo. 'The Duke of Kent is to relinquish his responsibilities around April next year. That would fit well with the end of the Duke of York's active naval career. The Queen is very keen that the Duke of York should take on a prominent role in the promotion of national interests,' the diplomat wrote. 'No other member of the Royal Family would be available to succeed the Duke of Kent. The Duke of York's adoption of his role would seem a natural fit.' The files also reveal the Queen had been pushing for Andrew to be given the more prestigious title of 'Honorary President of British Trade International'. A letter on March 13, 2000, to her secretary, revealed ministers were 'content' with Andrew's appointment, but Sir David was yet to put the proposed title to them. The documents also show officials had already been considering giving the former prince the role. In January 2000, another file shows Robin Cook, then foreign secretary, agreed that 'we should make more use of the Duke of York'. Andrew took on the role formally in October 2001. The files reveal that government officials and the Queen agreed that the then duke should not be 'burdened' with the admin that usually comes with the trade envoy position. Sir David said that the department should 'define a suitable role' for Andrew which was 'slightly different' from the one that his predecessor the Duke of Kent had fulfilled. Andrew attending a fashion show in Moscow in 2004. He was in Russia on a three-day visit as a special represantative of the UK Trade & Investment business support organization 'I did not envisage that the Duke of York would want to be burdened with the regularity of meetings of the board of British Trade International or the burden of paper which goes along with the board membership,' the senior official said. 'We would nonetheless ensure that he was kept in touch with board developments and issues,' he added. He wrote that the Queen's private secretary Sir Robert Janvrin thought that this proposal 'matched up with his own and the Queen's expectation of what might be involved'. 'He agreed that it would probably be preferable to not to replicate the Board position which the Duke of Kent had occupied,' the diplomat added. Sir David suggested the role would include some regional trips and two or three overseas visits each year, as well as a 'leading trade mission from time to time'. Andrew expressed a desire to travel to 'sophisticated countries' and his preference for 'ballet rather than theatre', a memo about his entitled expectations for the role reveals. During early discussions about his potential appointment, the Foreign Office's Kathryn Colvin said she had visited his private secretary Captain Blair to learn about his travel preferences. In the galling memo from January 2000, the head of the protocol division said she asked about 'the duke's preferences for activity during his visits'. The document lays bare how the globetrotting role was moulded around Andrew's personal tastes – as taxpayers picked up the bill. Ms Colvin said that Captain Blair informed her that he 'tended to prefer the more sophisticated countries' – particularly those at the cutting edge of technology. Have clubs, will travel: Golfing was deemed a 'private activity' but that didn't stop him playing a round with Bill Clinton in 1999 He was also said to favour 'high-tech matters, trade, youth (including primary schools) and cultural events with a preference for ballet rather than theatre...' Officials were also warned not to involve him in golfing engagements, with clear instructions that while he travelled with his clubs it was a 'private activity'. 'The Duke of York should not be offered golfing functions abroad. This was a private activity and if he took his clubs with him he would not play in any public sense,' she wrote. Other notes make plain the effort to accommodate him, stressing he 'liked travelling' – especially while on royal business rather than Ministry of Defence duties. While he received no salary for the position, Andrew has long been criticised for blowing taxpayers' money on his overseas sojourns which earned him the nickname 'Airmiles Andy'. The Government said it 'found no evidence that a formal due diligence or vetting process was undertaken' before handing Andrew the position. In a written statement to Parliament, trade minister Chris Bryant said there was no suggestion that any checks were considered when he was named trade envoy by Tony Blair's government. Mr Bryant said this was 'understandable since this new appointment was a continuation of the Royal Family's involvement in trade and investment promotion work'. In February, the Liberal Democrats had tabled a 'humble address' in Parliament calling for the publication of papers relating to Andrew's role, including any vetting process. On Thursday, Liberal Democrat chief whip Wendy Chamberlain said it was 'shocking and deeply troubling' that Andrew was appointed without any checks. 'Nobody should be above such standards. This raises serious questions about why officials and ministers at the time thought that was acceptable,' she added. She questioned why only 11 documents had been released since their request was tabled. 'The lack of documentation provided is itself concerning, as is the time it has taken to get this far,' she said. 'We must get the full files from Government without delay, and an explanation about why there is such a small paper trail.' Downing Street said further files relating to Andrew's appointment could be published later and added that the material is being published 'as quickly as possible'. A telegram to all trade staff advised of the need for 'careful and sometimes strict media management' in relation to Andrew's new role. In the internal briefing from August 2001, staff were provided with a four-page document on how to respond to media questions justifying Andrew's appointment to the role. Officials were told to point to the former Duke of York's 'high profile and commitment' if they were challenged over his lack of experience. They were told they may face a number of questions including: 'But he is not very experienced. Why not someone better placed? To which they should respond by stating 'the importance of the duke's involvement lies in the high profile and commitment he is able to give to this work as a member of the Royal Family'. And to insist that 'the duke will bring valuable support and visibility to British Trade International's activities at home and overseas'. No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.



