Harrowing scenes as grieving widow and loved ones farewell spearfisherman mauled to death by a shark - as they issue a heartwarming vow
✨ AI Summary
🔊 جاري الاستماع
By KYLIE STEVENS, SENIOR BREAKING NEWS REPORTER, AUSTRALIA Published: 12:32, 22 May 2026 | Updated: 12:34, 22 May 2026 The grieving widow and two young girls of a conservationist mauled to death by a shark have been joined by loved ones at his favourite beach to say goodbye. Steven Mattaboni, 38, was spearfishing with friends off Western Australia's Rottnest Island last Saturday morning when he was attacked on the leg by a suspected great white. His friends performed CPR as they raced him by boat to the island, where paramedics were waiting, but he could not be revived. He had become a father for the second time just four months earlier and was weeks away from celebrating his eldest daughter's third birthday. On Friday, family and friends rallied around Mr Mattaboni's wife Shirene and their two daughters at Perth's Sorrento Beach to honour his love for the ocean. She hugged her children close to her while being consoled by loved ones. They want the public to remember the wonderful and charismatic human being who would give the shirt off his back to anyone, rather than how he died. 'It's really important for us to disconnect Steven from what took place last Saturday,' his lifelong best mate Liam Thomas told reporters. Steven Mattaboni (pictured with family) was fatally attacked by a shark last Saturday His widow Shirene and their two children joined loved ones at Sorrento Beach on Friday 'For us, Steven was a much loved husband, father, son and brother who was part of a tight-knit family. 'The reason why we loved him was because he had all these amazing attributes and values — he was charismatic, loyal, funny, hardworking and had so many wonderful qualities.' Mr Mattaboni visited the island almost every weekend, 'no matter the conditions'. 'Rottnest will always remain special for us, even more so now,' Mr Thomas said. 'We will continue to visit Rottnest, to remember Steven.' 'Steve would absolutely want us to continue enjoying the ocean the way that he did, but would also be encouraging his beautiful girls to enjoy the water like he did as well.' Mr Mattaboni's final dive was something he had done 'thousands of times before'. A five-metre great white shark was spotted 80 metres offshore about the time of the attack, according to Surf Life Saving WA. Shirele was supported by Steven's best mate Liam Thomas (left) Steven Mattaboni (pictured) has been remembered for his love of the ocean 'There was absolutely no warning, and Steve didn't understand the danger that he was in on that day,' Mr Thomas said. Shirene issued a heartbreaking statement about the incomprehensible loss hours after her husband's death. 'Our hearts are irrevocably broken by the loss of Steven, known affectionately to his mates as Mattas,' she said. 'Steven was a devoted father to our two beautiful daughters - one who turns three next month and our four-month-old baby. 'An avid fisherman and spearfisherman, who lived and breathed the ocean, he was always in tune with the sea. 'He was fiercely loyal, endlessly generous, and the kind of man who would give you the shirt off his back. 'The world has lost a truly one-of-a-kind gentleman, and our daughters have lost an incredible father far too soon. Steven Mattaboni pictured with one of his daughters, sister and niece 'We extend our deepest, most sincere gratitude to the emergency services and first responders who worked so tirelessly to save him.' An online fundraiser has raised almost $400,000 for Mr Mattaboni's family. 'It's going to make such a difference for his beautiful little girls,' Mr Thomas said. No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts, or debate this issue live on our message boards. By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual. Do you want to automatically post your MailOnline comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to MailOnline as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on MailOnline. To do this we will link your MailOnline account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.





