📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,194,574 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 9,191 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ 0 ثانية

214,000 migrants have been let into the UK under a scheme that shut five years ago

أخبار محلية
Daily Mail
2026/08/23 - 22:34 504 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

By GABRIEL MILLARD-CLOTHIER, POLITICAL REPORTER Published: 23:34, 23 August 2026 | Updated: 23:34, 23 August 2026 Tens of thousands of migrants have used a post-Brexit visa scheme to settle here – des...

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood has been urged to shut the route for good over fears it is 'riddled with abuse'.

The EU Settlement Scheme was set up to offer EU citizens the chance to live here after Britain left the EU in December 2020.

هذا الخبر من Daily Mail. خبر يقدم أدوات ذكاء اصطناعي للتلخيص والترجمة والاستماع.

By GABRIEL MILLARD-CLOTHIER, POLITICAL REPORTER Published: 23:34, 23 August 2026 | Updated: 23:34, 23 August 2026 Tens of thousands of migrants have used a post-Brexit visa scheme to settle here – despite it closing five years ago. Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood has been urged to shut the route for good over fears it is 'riddled with abuse'. The EU Settlement Scheme was set up to offer EU citizens the chance to live here after Britain left the EU in December 2020. It was officially closed on June 30, 2021.  But the Home Office accepts 'late applications' and since that date 160,000 have won settled status here, with 54,000 family members joining them, bringing the total to 214,000.  In the past 12 months, 66,000 new applicants gained residency in Britain through the scheme, five years after deadline.  Successful applicants got access to benefits, the ability to bring over family members and free use of the NHS. They can also get student loans on the same terms as those born in Britain. Last year, £4billion in loans went to foreign nationals.  Tory MP Neil O'Brien said: 'The system is riddled with abuse. Clearly the Home Office is asleep at the wheel and this is costing the taxpayer billions.'  Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood has been urged to close the EU Settlement Scheme The number of applications is rising and non-EU citizens are applying as 'partners' of settled EU nationals. More than 50,000 visas have gone to Indians. Critics have questioned how those who have been separated for at least five years can qualify as valid partners. Migrants discuss ways to game the scheme on online forums from Bangladesh and Pakistan this paper has seen. In multiple posts from this month on immigrationboards.com, migrants discuss rights for divorcees and how to use their marriages to get in.  The Tories say it strongly suggests abuse of the scheme through 'sham marriages'. Mr O'Brien said: 'It is indefensible that new grants to the scheme are rising. Ministers must answer urgent questions about why new claims are still being accepted, and close this loophole.' He challenged Ms Mahmood on the nationality of applicants and why partner visas are accepted five years on. He added: 'It's not on for the Government to refuse to answer these questions.' A Home Office spokesman said: 'EUSS applications overall are lower than they were this time last year.'
المصدر: Daily Mail | Source: Daily Mail

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Daily Mail. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by Daily Mail. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن أخبار محلية | More on Local News

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم أخبار محلية. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: Daily Mail. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of Local News. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: Daily Mail. Tags: migrants, UK, immigration scheme.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free